Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Real World

So I graduated yesterday.

I think it's easy to see certain official moments as an endpoint or a new beginning.  But in some ways, not much will change now that I have my MFA.  Yes, I can apply for teaching jobs.  I now have another diploma to hang on the wall.  But regarding my writing, everything is the same.

Except that it is more stressful to think about dropping the ball.  In a writing program, you have deadlines and expectations to create new work.  Even if it is never sent out for publication, you write yet another story, outline yet another novel.  With that pressure gone, it can be too easy to let it all fade away.

I have heard about some of the alums from my school who have significantly slowed down their writing or stopped altogether.  Maybe a Masters program is just an expensive way to find out you don't want to be a writer, but that seems like a waste.  I don't want to be another alum who drops the ball and never follows through.

So I have the first meeting of a writing group scheduled for tonight.  I have a play that must be finished because it is being produced in February 2010.  And I have my own deadlines for finishing the first draft of my novel.  The more I can do to keep life from getting in the way, the better.  Why take the easy route when that won't lead to the life and career I want?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Posse will keep you going, lady! I too fear of dropping the ball. I think there are moments in life when this is inevitable, but it's important to set goals and have that support system. But then the next question is...how do you measure success? Recently, I've been asking myself if I'd be okay with publishing in small journals and never getting a book published. Would I still feel accomplished, like a real writer, if I never saw my book on the shelf (or in e-book format, now all the rage)? These are the post-MFA questions, I suppose. Sorry for rambling.
-J